Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Painting

OSHA Green &  Orange 1994 raw canvas, stainless steel, poly-vinyl over wood, enamel on stainless steel  60 x 91 x 3” (7 panels)

While putting some work in storage the other day I came upon this painting from the 1990s.  I opened up the box and though it had been in a couple of shows including a solo show at Steffany Martz in 1995, it still looked very fresh. Quite an interesting work for a twenty-something to have made in New York at the height of the Identity Art craze of the 90s, albeit perhaps not the shrewdest move. Someone once said that history is a formalist. I hung it up in my apartment.  www.maxestenger.com

2 comments:

  1. Very, very nice mixture of gloss and matte in this painting.

    I've been using the OSHA colors as inspiration for the last couple years. Largely because I hate the task of choosing one color over another, so the OSHA colors simplify that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks....I'd like to see what your OSHA paintings look like.

    ReplyDelete